“Honesty is the best policy,”
as the saying goes. Therefore, I want to give you an update of finances and a little about my day today. 🙂
Woke up (I am staying with my mom, currently) at around 9, saw mom off to work and myself off to the phones. Well, only one, since I just have a cell phone…
Learned that the apartment Sweetie and I were going to rent is now not for lease. The landlord changed his mind and we cannot have the apartment anymore.
From 11 am-ish til approximately 9:30 I was on the phone calling or leaving messages to friends and family and all sorts of people. You know what is cool?
Three important calls:
- To Jesse Wagner, Site Coordinator for Envision (the organization I am working with): We talked through a budget and found something cool. I need even less in total than I was thinking! What I need:
- About $950 USD in monthly pledges (of which I have about $100)
- About $2,800 in one-time gifts (of which I have almost half)
- About $26,450 in total for all two years (which is a combination of the previous two.
- To Sarah Bourns, Envision Intern Supervisor (I am totally making up that title, but that’s what she does): We talked about the reality of me leaving in a week, and the unreality of me raising funds while in Taiwan and not the States.
- Understandably, the national office is not too keen on me going across the world without having %100 of my funds pledged for the time I’m here. No one would want to have to say, “Sorry Skye, you have to go home,” because I do not have the money to stay.
- I completely agree that it is not wise to just jump into space.
- Maybe it isn’t just space. Who knows? I am ready to Go! when God says Go.
- I am waiting for God’s provision and answer.
- 75% of $950 pledged and $2,800 one-time = $712 in monthly pledges and $1,650 one-time needed.
- See how all of that is a giant prayer request? Pray that I get my 75% by the end of this weekend and that my donors (maybe including you) are blessed to give from a cheerful heart, not at all because they feel pressured to do it. I want everyone to follow God, above all.
- To Karen, who put my prayer request (#2-6) into the prayer chain at Minnetrista Baptist Church. God is good, the devil is a liar, and prayer still changes things!
If you would like to give monthly or just a one-time gift, please go to How To Support Skye on the tab above. I have all the instructions you need to quickly and easily set that up.
FAQATA (Frequently asked questions and their answers)
Q: Why are you just now asking for this?
A: Three months ago I wasn’t sure I’d be going back to Taiwan in the first place. Two months ago I was scrambling to get everything done for school, pack, and figure out how to end well. One month ago I came here and have been spending all my precious time with family. Honestly, I also dropped the ball. Could have been getting things figured out way earlier.
A2: I did not realize before that it is not well-looked-upon to fundraise while in the host country.
Q: How much do you already have raised?
A: $40/mo from a friend; $25/mo from my mom; $25 from another friend= $90/mo of $950 needed.
A2: $1175 in one-time gifts from an aunt and a church combined; $700 from my cousin’s church (thanks!!) = $1,875 of $2,800 needed.
Q: When are you leaving?
A: Original plan, and plan I really want to stay with: August 4th (Aroma Church’s baptismal service is on August 14th)
A2: Plan B (which truth be told, God told me not to make last year): I would need to buy another ticket and if I still want to do language school this fall means that I have to be there for registration day on August 25th, so I would have to leave on August 23rd.
Q: Why can’t you just get a job there?
A: That equals teaching, and if I do not have to teach, I will be very glad. Woke up from a dream I had two weeks left to teach again and nothing prepared for it… not a fun dream, but I am glad it was a dream.
A2: Other jobs available to foreigners are specialist positions, fishing/marine work, sports coaching or being an athlete… you get the picture. Can’t just work at the local 7-11.
A3: Tutoring or even giving piano lessons is technically illegal. I really would rather not. Being a light for Christ means not having anything to hide.
Q: Do you like cream cheese?
A: Yes, but that is not a frequently asked question. In case you were wondering.
God, I want to go! I know you will take me back, but I really want to see the baptism. I have been waiting for this for like seven months. abGba– all before God before all. I want to lay this before you and put you before everything. Please give all of us clarity and the jaiyou we need! 🙂 Amen
- Please pray a blessing over those who have already given and those who will. Pray for provision for the duration of the 2 year commitment and beyond.
- Please pray for me to keep my eyes on Jesus and to always say, “Your will be done.”
- Please pray for me to get my goal of at least 75% pledged by this weekend.
Again, if you feel this is something you can say yes to, please go to How To Support Skye to give.
Keep the Faith!