Pressed, but not crushed. Yes, that is me.
This is the end of the fourth week, and things, although they are still incredibly difficult, are not troubling me as much as they did the first few weeks.
I know teaching will continue to be hard. Yeah, maybe even really crazy. I will probably say I hate it more than once in the coming months. But God is a good Father, and He knows what I need. I am thankful to another intern here named Becca, who prayed for me tonight. She shared her words of wisdom and comforted me by sharing with me her experiences and just joining me in empathy. She told me that most people say that they do not really want to be in Taiwan for a while–it is just a part of living overseas. I was told that by my professors in college (that I would experience culture shock and go through a time of disenchantment and homesickness), but I did not expect the thoughts to come to me on the MRT, You know, I don’t think I like this place. Or I just kind of want to keep walking until I get home. Becca said that she got to the point where she really seriously thought about cutting her teaching contract and ending her time here before the year was up. But God.
I have to get to bed now because it is super late, but I wanted to say a huge thank you for your prayers.
2 Corinthians 4:8-12 New International Version (NIV)
8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. 12 So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.
I hope that this is encouraging to you, my friends, my family. 🙂
- Please pray daily for the 18 little kids in my first grade class and the 16 in my sixth grade class to see Jesus in me and start asking questions. Pray for my co-teachers to do the same.
- Please pray for Teacher Jennifer to be protected from the evil one and to have an open heart to start supporting me in class and helping me. Right now I get a lot of body-language feedback during class that says, “You don’t know what you’re doing. You’re doing this all wrong. Why am I here.”
- Please pray for my Chinese learning to go quickly. I may be starting a new method of learning soon, not in group setting, and I am excited for this turn of events.
- PLEASE PRAY for ideas in planning lessons, doing review, and FULLY UNDERSTANDING the grammar lessons for my sixth graders. Pray specifically that they would grasp things because of God’s grace, because I know I am lacking in knowledge, and I do not want them to suffer in their tests because of me. Pray for them to begin to love learning.
- Please pray for God to prepare me and the people I will begin mentoring soon, whoever they are. I am going to start meeting with some people to do discipleship soon, and we will begin studying the Bible. I am really excited to start!!!
- Keep praying for that piano for me…
- Pray that God keeps my sight-reading abilities intact, even when they should not be.
Goodnight! (Good afternoon for you.)
Keep the Faith!!!