Okay, I lied–no Profile Pictures yet, but! They are coming soon! 🙂 I do have some exciting news, however: I got the job!
https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m0!3m2!1sen!2stw!4v1439483195766!6m8!1m7!1sETwfqVvjAPDEbGHD-G5bjA!2m2!1d24.98961140470041!2d121.5597112564281!3f237.88440032912618!4f8.937689002849197!5f0.782086597462747“>Here’s a picture of my school from Google Maps–Check it out!
*Sorry, Google, I am ripping off your photo…
It is called Sunshine American School, and it is close to the foothills that surround Taipei City. I can look down the street and see the mountains jut up in green mounds, and I am so excited to go exploring in the area.
There is a great coffee shop that my roommate Irene and I discovered when I went to my interview, and three doors down from the school is a Yamaha music store! Maybe I will discover my Steinway there… 😉
I will be working in the afternoons, from 2 pm to 6:30 pm. It takes about 35 minutes to get there from Ximen (where The Aroma Cafe is), and I take a subway and a bus as my modes of transportation.
The supervisor emailed me this afternoon to tell me I got the job. Here is the email:
I heard that you want to work with us and prepared some materials for demonstration. I am very glad and excited to work with you. Do you have time to sign the contract?How about next Tuesday afternoon?Corinne
- Please pray that I would have wisdom to ask good questions and accurately see anything that would hinder or harm me.
- Please pray that I would be able to get Christmas off and other holidays.
- Please pray that I would be able to find my way around and not be late to anything. 🙂
Oddities and thoughts:
- I miss open spaces.
- Today I was asked how Taiwan was. I answered: “Taiwan is very busy these days. Everyone is doing something. Which is expected. But they seem to have one goal in life: work hard in school to work hard as an adult to raise kids who work hard in school and make you proud before you die.”
- This is a pretty big stereotype. But I thought it was better to be honest than not. I know a guy who is almost 40 who spends all his time raising money to study for an annual test he may never pass to get a job that pays better than a blue collar job he could have today.
- They have Cold Stone here, and it was great to celebrate with a waffle bowl of strawberry-banana ice cream. 🙂
This weekend I get to go to Elephant Mountain! I brought my binoculars, so that will be fun to look around at the island. We are going to make a picnic dinner and watch the sun go down… Ahhh. The sun.